This is a five-storey tower lying 8 km south of Gort, County
Galway. Its history dates back as far as the 16th century.
As it was a common thing to make the castles fortified and
secure, the Ardamullivan Castle was bordered by a defensive wall.
Standing on the brow of a secluded valley and surrounded by
trees, this is a well-preserved early 16th-century tower house of the
The castle is first mentioned in 1567 on the death of Sir
Roger O'Shaughnessy. He was succeeded by his brother Dermot, "the Swarthy",
known as "the Queen's O'Shaughnessy" for his support of the Crown.