The building was a National School built in 1892.
The Museum specialises in the life and times of
Lady Augusta Gregory and in
local history and genealogy. It also contains an old Irish classroom and a sales
outlet for the history of Kiltartan, "Many Leaves One Root".
building was a National School built in 1892 at the behest
of the local landlord, Sir William Gregory of
Gort. The Museum was opened by Mary Robinson on the 8th
August, 1996. The Museum is Largely devoted to the works of
Augusta Lady Gregory (1852 - 1932), widow of Sir William.
The most renowned member of the Gregory family was Lady
Gregory. During her time there, Coole became the meeting
place for writers, chief of whom was W.B. Yeats who later
bought Thoor Ballylee.